Thursday, September 6, 2012

Labor Day Cyclocross

Every Labor Day, Team Double Check host's the first race of the season and this year we held it in a training area on Joint Base Lewis McChord about 3 miles from the house. My brother Hank came over from Spokane with his youngest boy Josh and they each participated in the days event. Hank and I did the Cat 4 Masters and Cat 4 men's. I was holding my own during the first race until I flatted on the last lap just before the pits. But  I didn't just flat, I sliced my sidewall on something a ruined my tire. Bummer! I have two new tires being delivered late tomorrow and plan on prepping the bike for Sundays race after work. The second race was going well too. Hank let me pass him during the second lap when he went down several yards ahead of me. I think he fell at least three times and I joked with him about taking some dirt home in a jar versus on his jersey. : ) I was staying in front of the old speedster until the guy in front of me went down and decided to take me with him. The fall took the wind out of my sail so I cruised the rest of the way in. I did get another battle scar out of it though and my legs are showing signs of a veteran cross rider. 


Cuts and bruises. It's all part of the sport. 


Here I am sucking as much air as possible into my lungs


and Hank's not working hard enough. 


Although he did pick up a few scrapes of his own. 
I'm hoping to have a video of the race done shortly. 

3 comments:

  1. You can tell we're related. We share the same hangdog, gasping-for-oxygen look. And fer God's sake if you're gonna show legs, show some pretty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking they're looking pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And why should I work hard when I can draft off of you? :-)

    ReplyDelete