Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cross Anyone?



I’ve been on the lookout for another bike for Susan for a few months now and in December, a Double Check teammate told me he was selling his and I should take a look at it. We finally got the chance to meet up and he gave me a price. But if I built him some replacement cabinets for his trailer he'd drop the price by that much. I took him up on his offer and now Susan is the proud owner of a 2008 Redline Conquest Pro.  I had to order new shifters for it because she liked the SORA STi shifters on her old bike and I didn’t want to confuse her with Paddle design. Anyway, Ebay was kind enough to have plenty of what I needed so purchased a new set for less than a hundred bucks and spent the day swapping over the stem, tires, fenders, handlebar and shifters from one bike to the other. If you haven’t taken a look inside your shifter and studied the mechanics, you really need too. Who ever thought up the idea of putting the brake and derailleur cable together (integrated shifter) was definitely a forward thinker.  Now I spent a fair amount of time working on bikes as a kid, but I can’t tell you how much I learned about modern day bike repair during this project. If you would like to have skills necessary to do any repairs in the field, I highly suggest start working on your own bike at the house. Trust me, it’ll pay off.  


Here, it’s prepped for cross season and down below I have it ready for the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment